Widget_logo

 Subscribe to Literary Compass

Google

A book is a literary compass that has the potential to direct our thoughts and actions:

"Everything we read stimulates our mind to think, and what we think determines what we desire, and desires are the seedbed of our actions. Given this iron law of human nature--from reading to thinking, to desiring, to acting--we are shaping our destiny by the ideas we choose to have enter our minds through print." - Fr. John Hardon, S.J., The Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan

Welcome to my own personal exploration of life through reading the great books of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

"Every soul that uplifts itself uplifts the world." --Elisabeth Leseur

Search Catholic Blogs

Powered by Blogger

Monday, August 07, 2006

One Book Meme

Benjamin Myers at the Faith and Theology blog started this meme a few days ago, which I first read about at Jimmy Akin's blog. Here are my answers:

1. One book that changed your life:
The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
See this post for more.

2. One book that you've read more than once:
Les Miserables,
Victor Hugo
I've read this book every year for the past ten years because I teach it to my eighth graders.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:
Don Quixote, Miguel de Cervantes
The greatest novel ever written. If I had this book I wouldn't be alone, I'd have the Don and Sancho with me.

4. One book that made you laugh:
The Colour of Magic, Terry Pratchett
I would have put Don Quixote here, but I didn't want to duplicate any titles.

5. One book that made you cry:
The Chosen, Chaim Potok
The scene between Reb Saunders and his son Danny at the end of the book hit me hard one afternoon when I was home alone--it must have been the father/son thing. It's been over ten years since it happened but it left a permanent impression on me. (Again, I could have put Don Quixote here.)

6. One book that you wish had been written:
Autobiography, Mary of Nazareth

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
Illusions, the Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah, Richard Bach
Yes, I'm a victim of the seventies, and the teachers in my Catholic school were all reading this to their students. I'm still trying to exorcise it from my psyche.

8. One book you're currently reading:
Theology for Beginners, Frank Sheed
I wish my teachers had read us this one instead of Illusions.

9. One book you've been meaning to read:
Middlemarch, George Eliot

10. Now tag five people:
Since I'm pretty new to the whole blogging thing, I'll just tag anyone who reads this.

 Subscribe in a reader

posted by Nick Senger at 5:31 AM

Comments on "One Book Meme"

 

post a comment