Widget_logo

 Subscribe to Literary Compass

Google

A book is a literary compass that has the potential to direct our thoughts and actions:

"Everything we read stimulates our mind to think, and what we think determines what we desire, and desires are the seedbed of our actions. Given this iron law of human nature--from reading to thinking, to desiring, to acting--we are shaping our destiny by the ideas we choose to have enter our minds through print." - Fr. John Hardon, S.J., The Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan

Welcome to my own personal exploration of life through reading the great books of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

"Every soul that uplifts itself uplifts the world." --Elisabeth Leseur

Search Catholic Blogs

Powered by Blogger

Monday, May 07, 2007

The Top 5 Web Sites for a Deserted Island

If you were stranded on a deserted island with your laptop and a satellite internet connection that could only access 5 websites, which 5 would you want? Here are my choices:
  1. Hotmail.com - so I could check my email (oh, yeah, I guess I could email someone to come and get me, but being stranded on a deserted island for awhile might be kinda nice--for a little while at least)
  2. Google Reader - so I could keep up with all my blogging friends
  3. FreeIQ - So I could learn from the best content providers in the world and make money at the same time
  4. Blogger.com - so I could update all of you on my day to activities ("Broke open a coconut today...")
  5. Project Gutenberg - so I could finally get to all those great books I've been wanting to read (as long as my glasses didn't break, like Burgess Meredith in the Twilight Zone...)
A bit off topic today, but I wanted to enter ProBlogger's Top 5 contest; why not come up with an entry of your own? You could win $1001.

Labels: ,

 Subscribe in a reader

posted by Nick Senger at 5:48 AM

Comments on "The Top 5 Web Sites for a Deserted Island"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tuesday, May 08, 2007 12:13:00 AM) : 

Ohh, that's a good one. Google reader means you can still access all the other blogs you usually read. =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tuesday, May 08, 2007 2:56:00 AM) : 

I really like this one. short and punchy ! even though I do not know about power supply and internet on a deserted island ;) included you in my top5 review post.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tuesday, May 08, 2007 4:02:00 AM) : 

I agree that Project Gutenberg is a must. I would totally go on the show "survivor" but they won't let me take Project Gutenberg, well that & the whole eating rat & being in nature thing, but toher than that I'd totally go.

 

Blogger Matt said ... (Tuesday, May 08, 2007 5:39:00 AM) : 

Wow! What a unique post. This one certainly got me thinking.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tuesday, May 08, 2007 5:40:00 AM) : 

This is a nifty list, but I can't imagine if you're stranded on a deserted island, where you'd get internet access. I'd have to have my bloglines, though, and youtube...

I participated, too, check out my post for a few good laughs :)

 

Blogger Nick Senger said ... (Tuesday, May 08, 2007 5:50:00 AM) : 

Thanks for all the comments so far! As for how you would get internet access, um...ah...did I forget to mention the laptop is solar-powered and linked to a satellite phone (also solar-powered)? :-)

Now if I could only explain why you can only access five websites...

 

Blogger robinson go said ... (Tuesday, May 08, 2007 6:20:00 AM) : 

you have a great sense of humor. lol enjoyable read.

i saw ur post from the group writing project,maybe you'd want to check out mine as well:

http://robinsongo.com/2007/05/08/top-5-tips-to-be-the-next-darren-rowse/

 

Blogger initrd said ... (Tuesday, May 08, 2007 7:57:00 AM) : 

I'm just wondering why you would need money on a deserted island :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tuesday, May 08, 2007 8:15:00 AM) : 

Hard to argue with any of these, although I'll admit to knowing nothing about FreeIQ.

Feel free to check out my entry as well if you like.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tuesday, May 08, 2007 8:46:00 AM) : 

Interesting choices. I would have thought of completely different sites. Or I could have asked only for Google and then used the cached versions, in order to get access to more than 5 sites. Good luck with the Problogger project!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tuesday, May 08, 2007 10:15:00 AM) : 

Thats a pretty cool list. I like to use Google reader which has so many features. Not a big fan of hotmail but the idea of using hotmail on deserted island lol Good one

Nice one I really Enjoyed it, Good to find another great blog

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tuesday, May 08, 2007 12:43:00 PM) : 

Fantastic Top 5, I enjoyed reading this, really great job.

Ian
Check out My Top 5 Inspirational Quotes

 

Blogger Jennifer said ... (Wednesday, May 09, 2007 6:49:00 AM) : 

Great list! Thanks for sharing.

 

Blogger uc4n2 said ... (Wednesday, May 09, 2007 8:54:00 PM) : 

This is I called creative post.. simple, neat yet complete. I guess you're doing the the 5 ways by DarrenRowse to enhance your creativity.. I'm motivated by Darren that I too trying to apply the method.. the result, I write on Top 5 To Do when visit Malaysia Probably not the best, but it is the begining..

 

Blogger lady macleod said ... (Saturday, May 12, 2007 6:45:00 PM) : 

Good list. I do think you need to arrange to be stranded underneath a path of several of the more powerful satellites, you can do wireless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:38:00 PM) : 

That's a nice and clever list.

Although, if you really want to be minimalist and choose only one site, I'd say Google.com ... think about it, with their cached pages feature you could read copies of almost any other site. :D

 

Blogger Ryan Pratt said ... (Friday, June 01, 2007 8:52:00 AM) : 

Great list! If you like lists like this one - check out ListAfterList.com

It is a great place for YOU to find and create lists about anything and everything.

 

post a comment