Widget_logo

 Subscribe to Literary Compass

Google

A book is a literary compass that has the potential to direct our thoughts and actions:

"Everything we read stimulates our mind to think, and what we think determines what we desire, and desires are the seedbed of our actions. Given this iron law of human nature--from reading to thinking, to desiring, to acting--we are shaping our destiny by the ideas we choose to have enter our minds through print." - Fr. John Hardon, S.J., The Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan

Welcome to my own personal exploration of life through reading the great books of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

"Every soul that uplifts itself uplifts the world." --Elisabeth Leseur

Search Catholic Blogs

Powered by Blogger

Friday, April 27, 2007

Music to Listen to While You Read, Part II - Don Quixote

Yesterday I wrote about the music I like to listen to while reading Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series. I know that the reading group Tilting at Windmills is about to begin Don Quixote, so today I want to share the kind of music that helps set the atmosphere when I read this most excellent novel. (Sidenote: If you've never read Don Quixote you should join Tilting at Windmills and read it--it's my favorite book, hands down, and in my opinion the greatest novel ever written.)

To achieve a Spanish ambience when I read it, I love listening to Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez for guitar and orchestra. Its light and lively melodies remind me of the relationship between Don Quixote and Sancho Panza, and it makes me feel like I'm in a Spanish villa. If you can't get a hold of Rodrigo's music, almost any CD of Baroque guitar concertos will provide a good substitute.

I also enjoy Richard Strauss's tone poem Don Quixote, conducted by Herbert von Karajan.

Next time I'll talk about music I like to listen to while reading Tolkien.

Labels: ,

 Subscribe in a reader

posted by Nick Senger at 5:28 AM

Comments on "Music to Listen to While You Read, Part II - Don Quixote"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Friday, April 27, 2007 2:41:00 PM) : 

Good suggestion! I adore Spanish guitar music. I prefer silence when I read but will give Rodrigo a spin when I'm not reading.

 

Blogger Nick Senger said ... (Friday, April 27, 2007 10:46:00 PM) : 

I think you'll really like his music. Let me know, if you get the chance.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Saturday, April 28, 2007 9:54:00 AM) : 

Oh, I'm actually quite familiar with the concerto. I just haven't listened to it for a while. Now I can't seem to get it out of the CD player...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Saturday, April 28, 2007 9:59:00 AM) : 

I should add that my CD with the Rodrigo also contains a concerto and the preludes by Villa-Lobos. At the height of my guitar career I could almost sort of kinda play one or two of the preludes. I really must pick it up again...

 

post a comment