Widget_logo

 Subscribe to Literary Compass

Google

A book is a literary compass that has the potential to direct our thoughts and actions:

"Everything we read stimulates our mind to think, and what we think determines what we desire, and desires are the seedbed of our actions. Given this iron law of human nature--from reading to thinking, to desiring, to acting--we are shaping our destiny by the ideas we choose to have enter our minds through print." - Fr. John Hardon, S.J., The Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan

Welcome to my own personal exploration of life through reading the great books of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

"Every soul that uplifts itself uplifts the world." --Elisabeth Leseur

Search Catholic Blogs

Powered by Blogger

Friday, April 13, 2007

Geoff Hunt, Master Painter and O'Brian Cover Artist

This week's cover artist is Geoff Hunt, the master painter behind Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin nautical series. Take a look at the following two covers for a good example of how much impact a cover can make. The image on the left is from the first edition of Master and Commander, and the second image is Geoff Hunt's painting for the same book:



To me there is no comparison. I'm no art critic, but I know what I like. And I love Geoff Hunt's covers. Hunt painted the covers of all twenty-one books in the series, and I think they capture the flavor of the books perfectly.

I was in a bookstore one day when I stumbled across a stack of Geoff Hunt calendars. I immediately snatched up two of them; one I kept in its cellophane wrapper, the other I cut up and put into picture frames. If you've watched any of my video book reviews you may have caught a glimpse of them on the wall behind me. Here are a couple of pictures of the framed calendar images:



Someday I hope to afford actual prints, but for now these framed calendar pages do just fine.

If you're interested in learning more about Hunt's work, the following links may be helpful:

Labels: , ,

 Subscribe in a reader

posted by Nick Senger at 8:00 AM

Comments on "Geoff Hunt, Master Painter and O'Brian Cover Artist"

 

Blogger Bob said ... (Monday, March 21, 2011 9:30:00 AM) : 

A good Q-and-A interview with Geoff Hunt can be found here:

http://historyaccess.com/geoffhunt-histor.html

 

post a comment