Widget_logo

 Subscribe to Literary Compass

Google

A book is a literary compass that has the potential to direct our thoughts and actions:

"Everything we read stimulates our mind to think, and what we think determines what we desire, and desires are the seedbed of our actions. Given this iron law of human nature--from reading to thinking, to desiring, to acting--we are shaping our destiny by the ideas we choose to have enter our minds through print." - Fr. John Hardon, S.J., The Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan

Welcome to my own personal exploration of life through reading the great books of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

"Every soul that uplifts itself uplifts the world." --Elisabeth Leseur

Search Catholic Blogs

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Slight Change of Focus

I can never stay with one interest for very long--that is my curse and also my gift. It is a curse because I abandon many projects in mid-stream. It is a gift because I get to learn so much about our world. What I'm trying to say is that the focus of this blog is going to widen. My interest in Catholic literature is still very much alive and vibrant, but my taste for reading it comes and goes. Thus the long gap between my last post and this one.

What does not seem to change, however, is my desire to read. So, rather than wait until I read more Catholic literature before I post again, I decided I would give this blog more of a "great books" focus. Catholic books will still certainly be a part of my postings, and the list of great Catholic books will remain, but this blog will now begin to deal with additional great literature as well.

I just need to remind you (and myself) that I am no great authority on literature, nor do I want to be. I'm just an ordinary guy who wants to learn more about his world through exploring great books and great ideas. As you might have been able to tell from an earlier post, Mortimer Adler is one of my literary heroes, and lately I've been re-reading some of the books he recommended. I've also discovered his philosophy of education, as described in such books as The Paideia Proposal and The Paideia Program, and as an educator I find his ideas fascinating. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has had personal success in implementing his ideas in their classrooms, especially in schools that are not Paideia schools.

Thanks for understanding my whims and fancies, and hopefully this new focus will give me the freedom to post more frequently.

 Subscribe in a reader

posted by Nick Senger at 6:01 PM

Comments on "Slight Change of Focus"

 

post a comment