Widget_logo

 Subscribe to Literary Compass

Google

A book is a literary compass that has the potential to direct our thoughts and actions:

"Everything we read stimulates our mind to think, and what we think determines what we desire, and desires are the seedbed of our actions. Given this iron law of human nature--from reading to thinking, to desiring, to acting--we are shaping our destiny by the ideas we choose to have enter our minds through print." - Fr. John Hardon, S.J., The Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan

Welcome to my own personal exploration of life through reading the great books of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

"Every soul that uplifts itself uplifts the world." --Elisabeth Leseur

Search Catholic Blogs

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

45 Important Movies as Chosen by the Vatican

In 1995, to commemorate 100 years of film-making, the Vatican made a list of what it called "Some Important Films." The list was divided into three areas--Religion, Values and Art. I've been gradually acquiring them and watching them. What I particularly like about the list are the international titles.

Here's the list with a few comments of my own thrown in:

Religion:
Andrei Rublev
Babette's Feast - I really enjoyed this slow-moving but tender film.
Ben-Hur - The four-disc edition also includes the original silent film--an excellent dvd set.
The Flowers of St. Francis
Francesco
The Gospel According to St. Matthew
La Passion de Notre Seigneur Jesus-Christ
A Man for All Seasons
The Mission - I love the music in this film.
Monsieur Vincent
Nazarin
Ordet
The Passion of Joan of Arc
The Sacrifice
Therese

Values:
Au Revoir Les Enfants
The Bicycle Thief
The Burmese Harp
Chariots of Fire - Show this movie to all the athletes in your family.
Decalogue
Dersu Uzala
Gandhi
Intolerance
It's a Wonderful Life
On the Waterfront - One of my favorite movies of all time--Brando and Malden are brilliant.
Open City
Schindler's List
The Seventh Seal
Tree of Wooden Clogs
Wild Strawberries

Art:
Citizen Kane - Another one of my favorites.
8 1/2
Fantasia
Grand Illusion
La Strada
The Lavender Hill Mob
The Leopard
Little Women
Metropolis - I can't believe how powerful this movie remains after all these years.
Modern Times - My family's favorite Chaplin movie--hilarious and touching.
Napoleon
Nosferatu
Stagecoach
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Wizard of Oz

For more information, see Steven Greydanus' excellent article, "The Vatican Film List: Ten Years Later," and reviews of all the films on the US Bishops' web site.

Labels: ,

 Subscribe in a reader

posted by Nick Senger at 5:19 AM

Comments on "45 Important Movies as Chosen by the Vatican"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wednesday, June 20, 2007 2:16:00 PM) : 

Hey I just did a little movie reviews post on my blog and managed to watch a couple of these movies recently. I think I am unintentionally working my way through this list!

I too thought Metropolis was awesomely powerful. Great movie!

Now I have to put Modern Times in my netflix queue. I think I have only ever seen clips from it.

 

Blogger Nick Senger said ... (Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:17:00 AM) : 

I hope you like Modern Times. It contains many of Chaplin's most famous moments. One of my favorite bits is the roller skate scene.

I saw your movie review post. I just watched Stagecoach, too. Great technical achievement considering when it was filmed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sunday, November 11, 2007 12:10:00 PM) : 

Tell everyone The Passion of Joan of Arc is available online free at:
MaidofHeaven.com Movies Online

 

post a comment