Widget_logo

 Subscribe to Literary Compass

Google

A book is a literary compass that has the potential to direct our thoughts and actions:

"Everything we read stimulates our mind to think, and what we think determines what we desire, and desires are the seedbed of our actions. Given this iron law of human nature--from reading to thinking, to desiring, to acting--we are shaping our destiny by the ideas we choose to have enter our minds through print." - Fr. John Hardon, S.J., The Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan

Welcome to my own personal exploration of life through reading the great books of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

"Every soul that uplifts itself uplifts the world." --Elisabeth Leseur

Search Catholic Blogs

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, June 10, 2007

"When I Loaned This Book I Deemed It as Lost"

The Book-Lender's Soliloquy
by Nick Senger (with apologies to Shakespeare)

To lend or not to lend, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of a book lost forever,
Or to hoard books against a sea of troubles,
And by keeping them hide them? To read: to lend;
No more. And by hoarding to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That the librarian is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To read, to lend;
To lend, perchance to lose. Ay, there's the rub.
For in that loss of books what dreams may come.



On the Return of a Book Lent to a Friend
(from A Passion for Books: A Book Lover's Treasury)
by Christopher Morley

I give hearty and humble thanks for the safe return of this book, which having endured the peril's of my friend's bookcase and the bookcases of my friend's friends, now returns to me in reasonably good condition. I give hearty and humble thanks that my friend did not see fit to give this book to his infant for a plaything, nor use it as an ashtray for his burning cigar, nor as a teething-ring for his mastiff. When I loaned this book I deemed it as lost; I was resigned to the business of the long parting. But now that my book has come back to me, I rejoice and am exceedingly glad! Bring hither the fatted morocco and let us rebind the volume and set it on the shelf of honor, for this my book was lent and is returned again. Presently, therefore, I may return some of the books I myself have borrowed.

Labels: ,

 Subscribe in a reader

posted by Nick Senger at 6:33 AM

Comments on ""When I Loaned This Book I Deemed It as Lost""

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tuesday, June 12, 2007 6:49:00 PM) : 

Tee hee, love your "Hamlet" versification :)

 

Blogger Nick Senger said ... (Thursday, June 14, 2007 11:33:00 PM) : 

Thanks, Stefanie. I always appreciate your kind words.

 

post a comment