Widget_logo

 Subscribe to Literary Compass

Google

A book is a literary compass that has the potential to direct our thoughts and actions:

"Everything we read stimulates our mind to think, and what we think determines what we desire, and desires are the seedbed of our actions. Given this iron law of human nature--from reading to thinking, to desiring, to acting--we are shaping our destiny by the ideas we choose to have enter our minds through print." - Fr. John Hardon, S.J., The Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan

Welcome to my own personal exploration of life through reading the great books of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

"Every soul that uplifts itself uplifts the world." --Elisabeth Leseur

Search Catholic Blogs

Powered by Blogger

Monday, June 04, 2007

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

My wife and I celebrated our seventeenth anniversary two nights ago by attending the Spokane Civic Theater's performance of Rodgers and Hammerstein's The Sound of Music. The show was fantastic--elaborate sets, wonderful singing--a real treat. There were even a couple of songs that we had never heard before. It was also very special to see one of my former students in the role of Louisa Von Trapp.

My wife loves The Sound of Music, so one Christmas I bought her the movie, the soundtrack and the original book. Now I see that there's a cd of music by the Original Trapp Family Singers available, as well as a book about the making of The Sound of Music. The Sound of Music is great family entertainment, and for Catholic families there's the added bonus of being able to use the movie to talk about our faith.

As much as I enjoyed the performance on Saturday, I was more excited by the news that the Spokane Civic Theater was going to be staging a performance of Man of La Mancha next year! If you're a regular reader of Literary Compass, you know how much I love Don Quixote, so this is great news for me. I've already put it on my calendar for May 2008. My wife and I are almost done listening to the audiobook of Don Quixote, and we plan to watch the film version of Man of La Mancha when we finish, even though we've been told it's a subpar movie. I've never seen it and I'm curious.

Musical theater, The Sound of Music and Don Quixote: these are a few of my favorite things.

Labels: , , , ,

 Subscribe in a reader

posted by Nick Senger at 5:31 AM

Comments on "These Are a Few of My Favorite Things"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Monday, June 04, 2007 12:56:00 PM) : 

Has your wife read The Story of the von Trapp Family Singers? I think that is the title by Maria von Trapp of course. It is a wonderful read! We also have a cd of the Von Trapps singing Christmas music. Lovely, lovely stuff!

I have a terrible confession to make. I have never read Don Quixote. I'll just put it down at item #847 on my to-do-before-I-die list. (Lord please don't take me yet!)

Happy Anniversary!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tuesday, June 05, 2007 6:16:00 AM) : 

Happy anniversary to you and your wife!

I saw the movie of Man of La Mancha in high school and enjoyed it. But then I was also 14 and thought it oh so very romantic, especially the "impossible dream" song.

 

post a comment