Widget_logo

 Subscribe to Literary Compass

Google

A book is a literary compass that has the potential to direct our thoughts and actions:

"Everything we read stimulates our mind to think, and what we think determines what we desire, and desires are the seedbed of our actions. Given this iron law of human nature--from reading to thinking, to desiring, to acting--we are shaping our destiny by the ideas we choose to have enter our minds through print." - Fr. John Hardon, S.J., The Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan

Welcome to my own personal exploration of life through reading the great books of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

"Every soul that uplifts itself uplifts the world." --Elisabeth Leseur

Search Catholic Blogs

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Enhance Your Summer Travel with Novels

A few summers ago I drove my family down the west coast of the US to visit friends in San Luis Obispo, California. I don't travel much, but when I do I like to read novels that take place in the places I visit. Since I knew we were going to stop in Monterey, I read Cannery Row by John Steinbeck. Not the most exotic novel or locale, but reading the book did add another layer of enjoyment to the trip.

Those of you with more ambitious travel plans (and larger pocketbooks) may want to check out Jeff Cotton's Fictional Cities. Jeff has done a thorough job of listing major novels that take place in London, Venice and Florence. Read some novels before your trip to prepare yourself for the historical sites you'll visit or take a few with you to completely immerse yourself in your temporary home. When you get back, revisit your favorite places by reading some more.

Or, if you're like me and don't get out much, here's your chance to do some armchair traveling to some of the most interesting places on the planet.

Don't miss Fictional Cities, one of the 101 Essential Web Sites for Readers of Literature.

Labels:

 Subscribe in a reader

posted by Nick Senger at 6:28 AM

Comments on "Enhance Your Summer Travel with Novels"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sunday, May 27, 2007 5:47:00 AM) : 

I wrote about our experience of Landing Inside Our Books too.

REALLY being there makes an impression....on kids and adults! : )

 

Blogger Nick Senger said ... (Tuesday, May 29, 2007 5:29:00 AM) : 

Maureen: I loved your post! Great idea, and great title, too.

 

post a comment